Amma's Ashram

February 8, 2008

It has been an interesting and intense 5 days.

First, the 36 hour train ride. It actually was great and went by really fast. I listened to Beirut, Brain Eno, MIA, and other trance inducing music. I love trains, just looking out the window as life passes you by, ad not having to do a thing except nod off. Our compartment mates were two Indian men who were very sweet, we talked a lot, listened to their Bollywood music on their mp3 player/phone, I recorded them talking, they told us about their life and we told them about ours. really nice. And we saw two sunrises from the window. Beautiful. And yes, the compartment was FULL of cockroaches, but they didn't seem to bather me.

Now, Amma'a Ashram. Momma Amma. For those that don't know (my parents), Amma is called the "Hugging Saint" and is the only female Guru in India. She literally goes around the world hugging people, sharing love and spiritual/healing energy, and gives almost all of her proceeds to charities that she has created herself. So very positive.

I hadn't met Amma before (she comes to Mass. every summer), but Tonya has. The Ashram is located in Southern India, close to the tip, as is on the backwaters. Originally you could only get to it by boat, but now there is a massive bridge (in case of Tsunami). When we rolled into the Ashram on Monday, I was feeling a little taken back. Every where you turn, there are pictures of Amma. There are alters, huge larger than life, portraits, paintings, offerings, newspapers, shrines-- everything Amma. And you know, my typical Northeastern sarcastic cynical outlook on life just couldn't wrap my head around all of this. I mean, this person is just a human being, right, just like me, and if I am going to worship someone and try to believe that someone is the incarnation of God, it should be me, right, cuz when you get down to it, I am the the only person that I really know, right? Blah blah blah.

Anyways, on Tuesday a lot of school girls flooded the Ashram, and Amma came out, there was a big ceremony dedicated to Amma, all in Hindi (3 hours), and then the Darshan's, or huggings, started. I waited a long time. And the people running the show pushed me and Tonya in front of Amma, and she grabbed the both of us and whispered something into our ears, and hugged us for what seemed to be a long time (really it was moments) ........ and we both started crying. What can I say, words don't do it justice, but being around a, well, I think a spiritual enlightened being, it's magnificent.

But also a trip. We did a two day extensive meditation practice, and I was walking on air... and then my sandals were stolen.. or at least misplaced. So a lot of struggles and many things are going through my head right now, but ultimately all good.

We are doing well and our health is great. I am being kicked off the computer now, so talk to you soon.

Love you all,


Shawn and Tonya

No comments: