Puja Puja Puja!

March 26, 2008

Om Namah Shiviah!

I realize that many folks that I had originally emailed with India updates are no longer on my list. So here it is:

In the city of Shiva we are burning out a lot of karma!

Varanasi, many of you may know is one of the holiest and dirtiest cities in the world. For the first few days i was in awe and full of gratitude. The Ganges is magical, the people interesting and culture abounds! I loved it! Then another round of stomach illness. It began with me and violent expulsions. They Shawn couldn't resist and joined me halfway through the night. He did much worse, burning at 103.8 degrees at one point. So 36 hours later and we are both wiped out, confused, and thankful to be getting better.

I had been impressed with how many yummy, health choices of food we could find but now I can hardly eat. At some point in all of this I knew this was an exercise in being humble.

Puja's happen all the time here. In the morning as the sun rises the temple in front of our guesthouse rings bell and beats drums to greet the sun. This morning was the first time I missed the event.

I am also quite a sucker for the children and am always buying over priced past cards from them. A sweet little girl painted my hand and arm with henna. She did a great job. I am also feeling effected a bit more by the poverty and lack of care of people and animals a like.

So its almost time for the mid day power shut off(10am-2pm everyday) and my stomach is feeling a little funky still. It gets brutally hot here in the middle of the day and I will be glad when we are well enough to move to the Himilayas.

Om Namah Shiviah!
Much Love- Tonya

No comments: