Peace and Candlelight

April, 27, 2008

Sorry if I have been neglectful with responding to email, as we are living a little out of the main center venturing to email is not our first priority. We are really enjoying our space. Today we walked the route around the temple and the Dali Lama's home(and our home) and it is so beautiful. Its a small path way through a forest filled with pray flags and stones.

Yesterday we trekked with some friends from Phool Chatti to a waterfall. Shawn and I both took a dip in the freezing Himalayan waters. It is really an idea place to live. Mountains out our back door, interesting city life out the front! I am hoping we will get to see the Dali Lama soon. There are a lot of different stories but I hope to get the correct one from my students.

Yes my students! I went to observe the class I was going to take and the teacher was sick. So I Friday I had my first classes and I loved it. The students and the nicest, sweetest, and funnest students I ever had. And teaching English wasn't so bad. I pretty much have the lesson plans already. And Shawn is diligently studying the rules of the English language as I speak, so he refreshes me. The Tibetan Charity where we work also had a dinner the other night during which we were welcomed. They also have training for Tibetan home nurses and a veterinarian center for street dogs. The dogs are fantastic here. It is such a wonderful place! Everyone should donate if they can!!

Every night there is a candle light vigil that makes its way to the temple complex. We went the other night and it was really beautiful. It is very peaceful here but so intense. During one of my lessons I was having my students use the word expressing like and dislike from hate to love. I asked a monk to use the words "don't mind" in a sentence and I definitely got it. He said , "I don't mind the Chinese." See they're sweet and funny.

Hope everyone is well.
Peace and Love,
Tonya

PS I think I figured out my phone, if you have tried to call.

No comments: