Calcutta or is it Kolkata?

March 19, 2008

First of all to answer my own question its the later , just in case anyone didn't know.

I sure am glad we didn't land here first. Though, it is very congested here I have found the people friendlier than Mumbai.

Kolkata has been a serious trip!! WOW! So Shawn and I flew in from Bangalore which was really nice. Even though some people say part of the adventure is the trains, I think Shawn and I both agree we prefer to fly.

So things here are a lot rougher around the edges than in Kerala for sure. And yes there are many more people who are living on the streets but there is also wealth and modern living. Life is raw and beautiful and full of contrast. On our ride here we saw these amazing Deity statues at the base of a giant banyan tree (for anyone who doesn't know it is a gorgeous tree that grows by dropping its roots from its branches). The statues had hair that I could only assume was human. And upon further examination it all was a play ground of which children were playing on. No kidding, it had a slide and swings.

This is also one of the only places that still has men on foot pulling a rickshaw! We have done it yet but it seems really strange to me.

So we came to Kolkata to see Amma. The Amma program we found out is not quite in Kolkata. Its in this place called Sakarpool but up until yesterday we were just looking for Budge Budge Road. We got directions from both the hotel and the Foreign Tourist Bureau to Budge Budge Station. Great!! We thought. All too easy for India. Take the train to Budge Budge station and get a rickshaw from there to the Ashram (Amma has an ashram here too). We do all this during the hustle and bustle on an over crowded train(thank goodness we had seats) and we get to Budge Budge Station 45 minutes later. Head to the rickshaw stand and nobody has any idea what we are talking about. And just by the grace of God and/or Amma, an India man showed up in the same predicament. He spoke very little English but he knew what we were looking for and her could speak Bengali. After a lot of confusion and about 10 rickshaw drivers trying to help(This sort of thing happens often, too many cooks) a nice local man leads the three of us to a bus line where we hop on a rundown pimped out bus with various crazy printed plush walls, ceiling and chairs. There were even star shapes around the red lights on the ceiling(which didn't work). I learn very fast to hold on tight or find a seat! About 20 minutes later the whole crazy ordeal ends as our new Indian friend and I jump up in excitement as we see a huge picture of Amma! And we're there.

Much of the same as before with Darshan, really amazing and totally confusing. Amma hugged me first because I was pushed to her alone then pulled away. Because Shawn and I were supposed to go together she actually grabbed my arm and pulled me back. Then we were told we should sit on the stage. Not sure if Amma said we could or because we knew people who were running the gig but its pretty special because these children were performing an epic dance of Amma and the tsunami.

Today was the temple consecration. What an amazing day! We got up at 4 am to get there bright and early, then waited about 2 hours at the temple which aside from the inner sanctum is out side. It was very nice not too hot and not too sunny. When it started it was completely other worldly, at least with the sounds. There were many conch shells and drums being sounded and played over and over. Then Amma came out smiling and glowing. She made her way to the roof of the temple via a temporary stair case. Chanting came in and it all began. Where we were sitting we couldn't see much but I closed my eyes and was lost in the magical sounds. Rose petals were thrown on us by Amma, then water ran of the side which is supposed to be very powerful. I had a good time trying to get some water in the pushing crowd. It was easy because it was mostly women shorter than me. I let myself relax and flowed with the crowd and I learned a useful skill for the train station! The more you aggressively fight the crowd the more scary it is. Though I still plan to avoid major crowds in India. Amma came down from the roof and the consecration continued on the inside for some time and then it was all over. Shawn had been fighting a little cold and felt great! I was feeling pretty high from the event as well.

So 2 more days in Kolkata, one more with Amma. Then we are off to Varanasi, one of the oldest cities in the world.

I'm having a great and trying time. I'm discovering so much but there is still some part of me that really misses all you. I will stay present and enjoy my time here but I look forward to being home. I certainly want to come back to India but I don't think want to live here.

All my Love, Tonya

No comments: